The Ergonomics of Adult Car Seat Design and Comfort:

Review of Evidence & Patient Guide

By Honorée McGraw, SPT

Screen Shot 2017-04-21 at 2.00.25 PM

Background

This project came about as a result of a personal and professional interest in ergonomics. Prior to beginning the DPT program, I spent long hours working an office job and many weekly hours behind the while commuting to and from work. Over time, the culmination of these factors led to the development of shoulder and upper back discomfort.  Upon starting the DPT program, I was interested in learning more about the factors that had been contributing to my discomfort, which still plagued me as I spent hours attending class and studying in uncomfortable learning/work spaces. When brainstorming for capstone ideas I knew I wanted to focus on ergonomics.  After consulting with several professors, I obtained the contact information of a former program professor, Philip Witt, PhD, PT, who has a particular interest in ergonomics and spinal dysfunction. Dr. Witt helped me hone in my focus to ergonomics related to driving and car seats, since this area seemed to be less studied than the realm of office ergonomics.

Overview and Project Purpose

American drivers spend an average of more than 293 hours behind the wheel each year. 1 That is roughly equivalent to seven 40-hour weeks at the office.1 It is estimated that half of drivers in the United States experience low back pain.2 Research shows that longer hours behind the wheel to can lead to a greater risk of back pain and other issues involving the joints, ligaments, muscles, nerves, and tendons.3 For example, many drivers report pain in the neck and shoulders.3 This is even more of a problem for people who work out of their vehicle or drive for a living.3  Longer time behind the wheel can lead to a greater risk for low back trouble than sitting and standing jobs or activities.4  The purpose of this project was to evaluate the evidence related to the ergonomics of car seat design and comfort, as well as ergonomic principles of evaluation, adjustment, and modification. In addition, this project aimed to create resources based on findings for utilization by physical therapists and other health care practitioners, as well as patients.

Capstone Products

The Ergonomics of Adult Car Seat Design and Comfort: Scholarly Paper

Ergonomic Adult Car Seating Principles and Evaluation: Patient Guide

Health Literacy

It is very important to me that consumers of my patient guide find it easy to read and effective. It was my aim to create a product that can be understood by patients who are at the 8th grade level of literacy abilities. I chose 8th grade as the level since the guide is geared towards patients who can drive and some states require that their driver license tests be comprehensible for individuals with 8th grade reading proficiency.5 I have evaluated the organization of my materials, the writing style, the appearance, and the appeal and suitability based on checklists suggested in the Handbook of Teaching and Learning for Physical Therapists.6 While completing my guide I made sure to keep the length of my sentences short (under 20 words when possible) and I limited the number of words with multiple syllables.  I’ve incorporated the use of common words in place of more complex or “jargon-ish” terms.6 Active voice and a positive, friendly tone is used throughout.6 Terms are adequately defined and consistently used throughout, to avoid confusion.

Evaluation

In order to evaluate the components of this project, I maintained communication with my committee members and advisor during the course of project completion. I sought out and received feedback about the intended audience, scope of the project, references, synthesis of evidence, aesthetic qualities, and readability of materials. This feedback was synthesized into the final products on a continual basis. Committee members received feedback forms which allowed them to review the project products.

Upon receiving final feedback from committee members, my advisor, and visitors to the capstone website, I plan to disseminate my products to physical therapists and patients.  These individuals will receive the feedback forms below and results will be added to this page.

Feedback Forms for Patient Guide

Reflection

Although I have not received results from the patient and practitioner feedback forms, I am pleased with the positive feedback that I have received from my committee members and advisor.  I am glad that I challenged myself to create products based on information that is largely absent from the current curriculum.  I am very pleased with the products that I created and I have learned a tremendous amount about an area that has been interesting me for years.  I’ve been able use the knowledge I’ve gained to improve the comfort and ergonomic set up of my car seat.  I feel that I have a great base of recommendations for patients, friends, and family members who may want advice related to ergonomic seating principles. I know that future educational endeavors and clinical experience will only increase my knowledge base in this area. I look forward to more opportunities to create educational tools.

Acknowledgements

Firstly, I would like thank my committee member Philip Witt, PhD, PT for helping me come up with the idea for my project and for reassuring me of its significant clinical and educational usefulness.  I would also like to thank committee member Jon Hacke, PT, DPT, MA, OCS and advisor Mike Gross, PT, PhD, FAPTA, for taking the time to provide me with detailed feedback and direction. Lastly, I would like to thank my friends (classmates included) and family for supporting me during the capstone process and throughout the three years of this program.

Bibliography

1. Americans Spend 293 Hours Driving Each Year – Top News – Safety & Accident – Top News – Automotive Fleet. Americans Spend 293 Hours Driving Each Year – Top News – Safety & Accident – Top News – Automotive Fleet. Available at: http://www.automotive-fleet.com/channel/safety-accident-management/news/story/2016/09/americans-spend-an-average-of-17-600-minutes-driving-annually.aspx. Accessed April 15, 2017.
  2. Driving and Back Care. Driving and Back Care. Available at: https://www.spineuniverse.com/wellness/ergonomics/driving-back-care. Accessed February 14, 2017.
  3. Driving Ergonomics – Driver health. Driving Ergonomics – Driver health. Available at: http://drivingergonomics.lboro.ac.uk/health.html. Accessed April 15, 2017.
  4. drivingergonomics.lboro.ac.uk/downloads/takethepainoutofdriving.pdf. Available at: http://drivingergonomics.lboro.ac.uk/health.html.
  5. Driver’s License. Driver’s License. Available at: https://www.ochec.com/Drivers_License. Accessed April 21, 2017.
  6. Gail M. Jensen PhD MA BS, Mostrom E. Handbook of Teaching and Learning for Physical Therapists, 3e. 3rd ed. Saunders; 2012. Available at: https://www.amazon.com/Handbook-Teaching-Learning-Physical-Therapists/dp/1455706167.

3 Responses to “The Ergonomics of Adult Car Seat Design and Comfort: Review of Evidence & Patient Guide”

1. Honoree Mcgraw

Monica and Molly,

Thank you for checking out my capstone materials and for your wonderful feedback. I’m glad that you felt the materials could be of personal and professional benefit. Molly, you were wondering whether I had come across any research related to seating adaptations for patients with neurological dysfunction. Due to the breadth of topic related information available, I really had to narrow my focus for this project. I chose to focus primarily on common musculoskeletal dysfunctions. Unfortunately, I did not come across any research on the topic you mentioned. However, one of the companies I mentioned in the patient guide (Ride-Away) does offer seating solutions for individuals with a range of mobility limitations. Many of their products would be helpful for neuro populations. Just to illustrate, they have a product called the “Stow-Away Transfer Seat” which would allow an individual with a spinal cord injury (for example) to access larger vehicles like SUVs and trucks. They also offer a range of driving adaptations such as hand controls. This company may be a good resource for patients and it may also have access to related research.

2. Molly Miller

Honorée! What a great project! Ergonomics is a topic in physical therapy that is relevant to almost every setting and is especially interesting for students, like us, who have to sit for long periods of time! I recently started using an external keyboard and mouse because I started to develop tendinosis in my hands from excessive typing! Your paper is very thorough and provides the exact information that physical therapists need to know for their patients. I had no idea how much driving could affect musculoskeletal health. Any type of outpatient would benefit from ergonomic assessment, which is what makes your project so necessary! I am curious to know if you found any research about patients with neurologic dysfunction who need adaptations for driving? I imagine that there are consulting roles for physical therapists for companies who design cars or adaptive equipment. Is this something you are interested in? I just want to say that your brochure is so visually appealing! It is so important for information to be displayed in an accessible and comprehensive manner for patients who might be at a lower literacy level. You did a really thorough and professional job Honorée on both parts of your project. I hope you were sitting at an ergonomically friendly desk while working on them! 😉

Congratulations on being done!
    Molly

3. Monica Anderson

Honoree,
    I thoroughly enjoyed reading your capstone products and I can tell you dedicated a substantial amount of time and effort into your work! Well done and congratulations! This summer I will be commuting to my clinical rotation approximately 40 minutes away, so I found your products personally applicable. And based off of the statistics you provided in your academic paper, I am not alone. I cannot say I was surprised to read that there is a strong correlation with low back and lumbar disc herniation and hours spent driving. I found your comments on stationary seating and seating in motion especially eye-opening. It seems there are significant differences in body mechanics while sitting in a car and while sitting at a desk, placing unique risks for those who spend considerable time in a car. As a reader, I admired how you presented the information regarding common seating position issues in your handout, directly highlighting symptoms with realistic and useful solutions. I will be sure to utilize your tips this summer!

Again congratulations and awesome work,

Monica