Introduction

I have created a series of short videos and handouts to supplement the hip and knee coursework for PHYT 723: Applied Manual Therapy for my Capstone. These materials include a worksheet summarizing the hip and knee material covered in the course, along with relevant research for students to explore; a blank handout that students can use to test their knowledge of the material; a video series demonstrating the different hip and knee manual techniques with audio explanation; and an evaluation survey for students to assess the successful implementation of this supplemental material.

Statement of Need

As the course material for PHYT 723: Applied Manual Therapy has been updated over the past few years, the supplemental content initially available for this course has become outdated. Upon discussion with the professor for PHYT 723: Applied Manual Therapy, there is a need and a want for creating updated materials to bolster the coursework. Therefore, I utilized the updated course objectives to create study handouts, worksheets, and videos to assist in the learning and understanding of the manual therapy techniques for the hip and knee covered in the course. These materials can be easily accessed on the Sakai site for utilization by students, professors, residents, and teaching assistants.

Products

Knee and Hip Manual Techniques Handout

Knee and Hip Manual Techniques Study Worksheet

Link to the Knee and Hip Manual Technique Videos:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/bkidvrw32341dpcwbsi1h/h?dl=0&rlkey=f6urh24rjgr4oz6qcn12ecce0

Evaluation

At this time, I am unable to gather evaluation feedback from students due to the timing of the course; however, I have received feedback from my committee to ensure the quality of my Capstone before implementing it into PHYT 723: Applied Manual Therapy. Evaluation from the students, who are the primary audience, will be gathered through an online survey following the hip and knee section of the course, and I will work with the professor of PHYT 723 to monitor this evaluation feedback. Once gathered, I will add this feedback to the comment section of my Capstone.

Self-Reflection

Throughout the creation and distribution of my Capstone, my goals were to improve my manual therapy lab techniques for the hip and knee; teach updated, evidence-based manual therapy techniques to my peers in a confident, competent manner; increase my communication skills, particularly those associated with patient and peer education; bolster my relationships with professors and students across different classes; increase my confidence in teaching the material so that I may answer student questions; and see proof of successful implementation through the student evaluation. I feel confident that I have reached these goals, and I look forward to furthering this professional growth as I provide my Capstone as a future in-service.

This Capstone has played a role in my goal of becoming a competent physical therapist who provides holistic, evidence-based care to my patients. It has proven that I can create and distribute concise, accurate, and comprehensible education to my patients, peers, and coworkers. This project has expanded my manual therapy technique skill set and offered valuable experience with teaching, receiving feedback, and creating learning materials. I am confident that the skillset and knowledge I have gained from completing my Capstone have made me a better healthcare provider.

Acknowledgments

A special thanks to Jeffrey O’Laughlin, PT, DPT, OCS, FAAOMPT, for taking on the role of my Capstone Advisor and offering indispensable guidance as I embarked on this project. Your expertise and assistance throughout my Capstone project made this experience run smoothly and allowed me to grow as a physical therapist.

To James “Quinlon” Curtis, PT, DPT, OCS, FAAOMMPT, thank you for being a member of my Capstone Committee. Your vast clinical knowledge gave me a new perspective on this project. In addition, it allowed me to implement essential concepts into my supplemental materials that I otherwise would not have had access to.

To Joshua Torrey, PT, DPT, thank you for joining my Capstone Committee. Your generosity in sharing relevant research and constructive feedback allowed me to provide evidence-based techniques and curate the materials as I envisioned.

References

1. Pawłowska KM, Bochyński R, Pawłowski J, Jerzak L, Grochulska A. The impact of mobilization on hip osteoarthritis. J Back Musculoskelet Rehabil. 2020;33(5):817-822. doi:10.3233/BMR-181118
2. Matheis C, Stöggl T. Strength and mobilization training within the first week following total hip arthroplasty. J Bodyw Mov Ther. 2018;22(2):519-527. doi:10.1016/j.jbmt.2017.06.012
3. Karaborklu Argut S, Celik D, Kilicoglu OI. The combination of exercise and manual therapy versus exercise alone in total knee arthroplasty rehabilitation: A randomized controlled clinical trial. PM R. 2021;13(10):1069-1078. doi:10.1002/pmrj.12542
4. Alkhawajah HA, Alshami AM. The effect of mobilization with movement on pain and function in patients with knee osteoarthritis: a randomized double-blind controlled trial. BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2019;20(1):452. doi:10.1186/s12891-019-2841-4
5. Salamh P, Cook C, Reiman MP, Sheets C. Treatment effectiveness and fidelity of manual therapy to the knee: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Musculoskeletal Care. 2017;15(3):238-248. doi:10.1002/msc.1166
6. Flynn DM. Chronic musculoskeletal pain: nonpharmacologic, noninvasive treatments. Am Fam Physician. 2020;102(8):465-477.
7. 2018 Consensus statement on exercise therapy and physical interventions (orthoses, taping and manual therapy) to treat patellofemoral pain: Recommendations from the 5th International Patellofemoral Pain Research Retreat, Gold Coast, Australia, 2017 – CORE Reader. Accessed January 17, 2023. https://core.ac.uk/reader/161894196?utm_source=linkout
8. Hando BR, Gill NW, Walker MJ, Garber M. Short- and long-term clinical outcomes following a standardized protocol of orthopedic manual physical therapy and exercise in individuals with osteoarthritis of the hip: a case series. J Man Manip Ther. 2012;20(4):192-200. doi:10.1179/2042618612Y.0000000013

3 Responses to “Supplemental Educational Material for PHYT 723: Hip and Knee”

1. Megna Mishra

Kally,
    This is such a great idea and project! I loved how it turned out. I wish we had these materials as we were going through the course! Many students will benefit from this project for years to come. I know one of your goals for this project was to gain more confidence in your manual therapy techniques and I think you’ve definitely demonstrated that through this project! I hope you think so too! I’m so proud of you, Kally! Your future patients will be lucky to have you!

2. Carson Matthews

Kally, I’m really glad you decided to tackle this topic for your capstone because it was much needed in the program. It was a struggle to remember all of the manipulation techniques we learned in this class, no matter how well the in-class instruction was. The videos and handout you created are very descriptive and will greatly assist students preparing for their practicals in the future. I wish our class had this resource and information, it would have made studying a lot more efficient. Overall, great job, and I know you are destined for great things in your career!

• Megna Mishra

Kally,
      This project is amazing and saw first hand how much time and effort it took you. I wish we had this resource when we were going through the course. I also LOVE the study worksheet you created!! So many students will be so thankful for your work. I hope you feel more confident in your manual therapy techniques because it is evident from the videos. Your future patients are lucky to have you!