Fall Prevention Education Class for Community Dwelling Older Adults

Jason Albright SPT

Introduction

It was midnight and the room was dark.  She was returning from the bathroom when the corner of a glass nightstand knocked her off balance.  She reached for the bed to catch herself, but missed and fell at the foot of the bed.  She attempted to get up, but felt a sharp pain in her hip.  She didn’t know what to do except try to get up to her feet.  After several attempts, she realized she wasn’t strong enough.  What was she to do?  The phone in the kitchen would be too difficult to get to.  It seemed as though her only option was to wait for her daughter to check in on her.  It didn’t take long for the cold to set in, so she pulled a blanket off the bed.  She tried to fall asleep, but the pain in her hip was most uncomfortable.   The daughter finally arrived at 9 that morning.  She found her mother lying on the floor shivering and in obvious pain.  The daughter quickly called 911, and the mother was rushed to the hospital.

The mother had sustained a hip fracture that was thought to be the cause of the fall.  When she was ready for discharge, the daughter was willing to make a place for the mother at her house.  After a few days of caring for her mother as well as her three elementary through middle-school aged kids, it became clear that the burden was too much.  The mother would have to go to a nursing home to get the care she needed.  She was only supposed to stay a few weeks, but those weeks became months and those months became years.  As the months passed, it became progressively clear that my grandmother was not the person I remembered her as.

My grandmother’s experience served as a catalyst that would ultimately direct me towards physical therapy with a desire to help older adults avoid falls and the consequences that follow.

Overview

I knew from the start of this program that I wanted to develop a fall prevention program, and many of my optional assignments related to an aspect of fall prevention.  This past fall, our Health and Wellness class gave me the opportunity to work through the details of establishing a fall prevention program.  The end result was a proposal that explains who, what, when, where, and how to begin a fall prevention program.

In our Evidenced Based II class last fall, I focused my research on interventions that are used to prevent falls.  This lead to an evidence table that answered the PICO question,

“For a community dwelling patient that is 60+yrs old, and deconditioned with increased fall risk, would a general group exercise class with fall prevention education or a multifactorial intervention approach decrease fall risk more in 6-8wks?”

Along with the research paper, I produced a summary paper to briefly explain my findings in the literature review.

For my capstone, I originaly intented to combine an education and exercise class for ~6 weeks.  After talking with my advisor and one committee member (Carol Giuliani) at that time, I realized that the exercise portion would need more time than the semseter allowed to complete.  Thus, I decided to focus solely on the education portion.   The next step was to determine where I would hold the class.  I reached out to the Randolph-Asheboro YMCA because I knew from previously working there, they have a high population of older adults.  After The YMCA agreed to partner with me, I asked Robin Hatch (Director of Fitness and Wellness) to join my committee.   A flyer was then made to advertise for the class at the YMCA.

I then performed another literature search for consequences, causes, prevention strategies, techniques to decrease injury risk when falling, and techniques to get up from a fall.  This yielded a second evidence table, that can be found here.*  From the evidence gathered, I planned on teaching 4 consecutive classes. However, due to the scheduling of the YMCA and the due dates of this project, I condensed the material to two 1 hour sessions.

Presentation

The powerpoint corresponded with a handout, so that participants could follow along easily, make notes if needed, and take home for future reference.  The presentation incorporated brainstorming sessions that helped create discussion and a chance to learn from each other.  It also included demonstrations on how base of support affects center of mass, as well as techniques to decrease injury when falling, and how to get up after a fall.  I incorporated a skit of an older lady (portrayed very gracefully by my mother) who demonstrated as many fall risk factors that we could fit in.  I then asked the participants to identify the risks they noticed which allowed for discussion.

There were many other handouts that were available to participants, that many individuals helped me obtain.  Vicki Mercer and Carol Giuliani gave me brochures from the CDC on “What You Can Do to Prevent Falls” and “Home Modification Checklist”.  These brochures can be found on the CDC website.  I also provided a handout containing the most recent data on falls for North Carolina, that I obtained from attending a Fall Summit Conference.  Lastly, Carol Giuliani provided me with a basic home exercise handout.

Evaluation

To assess the participants comprehension of the material I created a 12 question quiz that I distributed before and after the class.  The quiz incorporated multiple choice, true/false, and short answer questions.  On the pre-test the average score was 76.5%.  Questions 9 and 10 were short answer and the most frequently missed.  The answers ranged from greatest to least as Doctor, PCP, neurologists, ear doctor, orthopedic surgeon, nursing home and PT.   While seeing your doctor isn’t a wrong answer, I was looking for participants to answer that the doctor would recommend or refer depending on the condition.  The post test average score was 94.2%, and all but one person (that didn’t attend the first presentation) answered questions 9 and 10 correctly.

Feedback

Lastly, I distributed a survey to get feedback on how the material was presented, and left space for any suggestions or comments.  The majority of the feedback I received from the participants was that the pace was just right, and the terminology was easy to understand.  Many reported they liked the discussions, skit, and demonstrations.  A few reported they thought the recap/review of the previous weeks presentation was great, however one person thought it was too repititious.   One person reported they would have liked more time to cover the material.  Another suggested that I should include more on how to decrease falls risks in people with dementia.

Reflection

After completing my capstone, I have several aspects I would change.  The first, is that I would give more time to advertise and promote the class.  The first presentation had 21 participants, while the second part of the presentation had 11.  Second, I would have planned to hold the class on a day when the YMCA had Senior Day, which I feel would draw more of a crowd.  Third, I would get participants to register before hand and provide their phone numbers so I could give reminder calls.  A reminder call should help participants return to following sessions.  Fourth, I would like to hold a fall/balance screen before the next class to help promote the class.  Finally, I would increase the time or number of sessions to allow for better discussion of the material and demonstrations.

Special Thanks

I’d like to give a special thanks to Carol Giuliani for going out of her way multiple times, taking me to the Falls Summit of NC, giving a plethora of advice, and helping me to print and organize the handouts.  I’d also like to thank Robin Hatch and the Randolph-Asheboro YMCA for allowing me to present in their facility.  I’d like to thank my mother who did an excellent job performing in the skit, as well as helping the presentations run smoothly.   Lastly, I’d like to thank Vicki Mercer for giving brochures from the CDC to pass out.

6 Responses to “Fall Prevention Education Class for Community Dwelling Older Adults in Randolph County”

1. Debra Gerber

Jason, you are quite the storyteller! I really enjoyed how you introduced your capstone and the moving story of the inspiration of your grandmother for your project! I have already shared your handout via email with my older sister! You covered a lot of material in your fall prevention course – I would love to see this made available not just at the YWCA but at senior centers as well! Congratulations on developing such a valuable project!

Debra

2. Chenin Duclos

Dear Jason,
    My goodness! That was your grandma? That makes me sad that she wasn’t able to contact anyone. Thank you for sharing your personal experience and I can see why you would have an interest in working to prevent this event and the downward spiral that followed from happening to other families.
    Clearly from your proposal, there is a need for falls prevention interventions and you discussed the growing number of individuals > 63 years old in Randolph County in your proposal. What you highlights in your proposal (falls prevention, education and fear of falling) are really important – so glad you spent time sharing this knowledge. Do older adults even know how common falls are? The downward spiral that often follows? And how to avoid?
    You have some great materials here and really covered many important details. I like that you incorporated a brainstorming session and made the presentation interactive. Plus the handout – great idea to enable patient to follow along,
    A quiz too! Perfect way to assess if objectives learned. I agree with the feedback you received; the material seemed easy to read and obviously incorporated health literacy elements. I liked your feedback questionnaires and learned from you for sure! My feedback questionnaires really didn’t end providing me with much information. Your design might have been better – leaving more room for evaluator to write thoughts.
    Clearly you have put a lot of time, energy and heart into this project. I know those YMCA folk were glad to have you! From the feedback it sounds like it was fun and you incorporated many things that the audience liked: skits, weekly review etc. Also, it appears you learned ways to improve and a direction for the future. I hope you are able to keep up this important with this important area of patient awareness.
    Take care Jason. Chenin

3. Noelle Martin

Jason,
    Great capstone project! I really liked the introduction to your capstone webpage. It is something about personal stories that captures my attention to learn more. I can tell you have put in a lot of time and effort to create this falls prevention program. I think focusing your efforts on this educational component was a great place to start! Did you have a goal number of participants? And why do you think only 11 participants returned for the second session?

Your presentation is wonderfully organized! It seems easy to follow, informative, and appropriate for your participants. I enjoyed the pictures you included as it lightens the subject with a little humor! You share great information about getting up after a fall and minimizing injury when falling. This is not only beneficial resources for the participants, but also for family members, health care professions, and for us! I don’t remember discussing these methods much in class and can see this as a reference for students as well.

Do you have plans to continue this educational component of this program? What about the exercise component? Did you my chance ask the participants if they would become involved in the exercise program? It looks like you have some great forward thinking ideas about the growth and next initiation of the program and I’m sure many older adults will benefit from your efforts!

Great job! Noelle

• Jason Albright

Thanks Noelle,

Back in March the YMCA held a senior day, where seniors in the community came to have lunch and see what the Y has to offer. I had about a 10 minute slot where I was able to introduce myself and the class, and at the end there were about 30 people interested. Thus, my target range was between 30-40. There was a sign up list at the front desk that had 25 people signed up before the class. Many of those participants didn’t show up to the first session. I think it was mainly due to forgetting, but there is no telling. The decrease in the second session was partly due to prior schedule conflicts. As for the other part, I do know that many of the participants didn’t attend the senior exercise class that was held before my presentation. Thus, I would assume that they were not solely avoiding my class.

My vision for this project is to make it a community wide network of local gyms, PT’s, MD’s/geriatricians/, paramedics, dietitians, pharmacists, ophthalmologists, and other professions that can make a difference in falls risk. I would like it to be similar to the CHAMP program that Vicki is involved with. I’m also thinking about including churches into the network, because I feel the church environment can be more inviting, especially when the older adult is self-conscious.

Jason

4. Jessica Rolle

Jason,
    Great job on your Capstone! It is obvious that you have put a lot of time and effort into this project, and the implementation of this program has the potential to have a huge impact in the older adult community in Asheboro. Your presentation was practical, organized, and very easy to follow. I especially liked that you had step-by-step instructions on how to get up after a fall and included numerous community resources. It also seemed like you had lots of audience participation, which is a key component of a good education program. Your handout was very thorough and will be helpful for the participants to refer back to at a later date if necessary.

I think it was great that you had a pre- and post-test to see the knowledge base of your participants, as well as how effective your presentation was. It is too bad that many of the participants forgot or were unable to attend the second session, but you seem to have good ideas for bringing in more participants in the future.

It is great when you can combine a personal experience and a passion into a project, and it seems you did just that! I enjoyed reading through your materials.

-Jess

• Jason Albright

Thanks Jess,

I do have a passion for preventing falls, and I’d like to see the number of fall related injuries decrease in the area that this program finally sets up in. I was also encouraged when many of the participants stated they didn’t know certain falls risk, but that they would be more aware of them. I hope they will be able to take what they’ve learned and apply it in their lives.

Jason