NICU Graduate Informational Pamphlets

lots of babies

By: Kelly Walsh, SPT

Background

I have always enjoyed pediatric physical therapy and started at UNC with the goal of working in pediatrics upon graduation. After shadowing physical therapists in the neonatal intensive care unit (NICU), I found that I had a special interest in early development. I chose to focus my Critically Appraised Topic in Evidence Based Practice II on physical therapy treatments that facilitate movement and development in infants in the NICU. This topic introduced me to a number of therapy techniques and principles that directly impact the growth and development of infants. While finding this research, I came across a number of research articles based on early intervention care. There were many similarities between the two settings of PT and many of the infants treated in the NICU went on to receive early intervention care. Research has shown that children born prematurely are at an increased risk for developmental delays throughout early childhood.1 Additionally, there is an association between infants requiring NICU stays and a range of neurodevelopmental impairments.2 Based on this information, I began to form an idea for my capstone project.

Project Development

My interest in focusing my capstone on NICU and early intervention physical therapy led me to consult with Dana McCarty, PT, DPT, PCS, C/NDT. She explained to me that after working in the NICU for a number of years she recognized an area of need. After being discharged from the NICU, an infant will return home, often times to begin early intervention care. Unfortunately, it can be several months before an early intervention therapist is available to begin treating the infant. This gap in care can result in further developmental delays and impairments. The parents are often unaware of typical versus delayed development as well as ways to encourage proper development. Because of this lack of knowledge and resources, it was decided that I would create educational pamphlets for parents following their infant’s discharge from the NICU. I then conducted a health literacy search to ensure my products were appropriate for the intended audience. I found that on average, parents with children in the NICU have a reading level between sixth and eight grade. Throughout the process of creating my products, I conducted Flesch-Kincaid readability tests to ensure the language and reading level established were appropriate.

The Project

I created four pamphlets, each focused on a specific topic related to development. The pamphlets are intended to be a quick reference guide to answer common questions or give basic information and tips to parents upon returning home with their infant. Additional resources are included on the back page of each pamphlet for parents to reference more detailed information.

The four pamphlets include:

Typical Development

Promoting Development

Sleep versus Play

Comforting Techniques

Evaluation

At the midterm of this semester I sent the first completed pamphlet (Sleep vs. Play) to my committee members for informal evaluation and feedback. I requested their input on the layout, content and readability of that pamphlet in order to shape the final three. I also provided my committee members with an outline of the other three pamphlets to ensure I was creating useful and relevant materials for parents. Once completed, I sent all four pamphlets and an evaluation and feedback form to each committee members. After receiving their feedback, I made the final edits to each pamphlet based on their suggestions.

Acknowledgements

I would like to thank several individuals who played a large part in the success of this project: My committee member Barbara White, who reviewed each pamphlet and gave excellent feedback. Her firsthand experience with the NICU and early intervention was invaluable in making these pamphlets relevant for parents. My committee member Dana McCarty, PT, DPT, PCS, C/NDT, who helped to develop the concept behind this project and provide feedback throughout the process. Her experience as a PT in the NICU ensured the success of these pamphlets. Thank you to Laurie Ray, MPT, PhD, for being a constant sounding board and helping me to think through the details of each pamphlet. Thanks to Prue Plummer, PhD for your encouragement and feedback throughout the process. Finally, thank you to all of my friends and classmates who listened to me read each sentence out loud (over and over again) and weed through a million baby pictures.

References:

1. Kerstjens JMJ. Pediatrics (Evanston): Neonatal morbidities and developmental delay in moderately preterm-born children. American Academy of Pediatrics [etc; 08/2012;130:e265.
  2. Institute of Medicine (US) Committee on Understanding Premature Birth and Assuring Healthy Outcomes; Behrman RE, Butler AS, editors. Preterm Birth: Causes, Consequences, and Prevention. Washington (DC): National Academies Press (US); 2007. 11, Neurodevelopmental, Health, and Family Outcomes for Infants Born Preterm. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK11356/

Please see pamphlets for additional references.

4 Responses to “NICU Graduate Informational Pamphlets”

1. Kelly Walsh

Liz,

Thank you so much! My hope is that these pamphlets will be used by as many hospitals as possible. I appreciate all of your help in proofreading and helping me choose pictures!

Annemarie,

Thank you for saying that! I was worried the information would come across as too simplified but I’m glad you understand the intended audience.

Chelsea,

Thank you so much! I’m glad to hear the activities I included are ones you’ve used before. My committee members suggested I provide these pamphlets to all new parents also. I would love for everyone interested to have access to them. Thanks again for your feedback!

2. Chelsea Parker

Kelly,

I really enjoyed your capstone! It is true that most of the information to PTs may seem like a no-brainer, but if we aren’t there to see the kiddos, their parents won’t know it! I especially loved that many things mentioned in the “Promoting Development” are actually treatments I’ve sent parents home with from an outpatient clinic.

Additionally, you mentioned that your materials were for infants being discharged from the NICU, but I believe all parents leaving the hospital would benefit from this information! Did you consider leaving these pamphlets for all interested parents on the birth and delivery floor?

Again, they’re awesome! Amazing job with these products I know they will come in handy for many parents!

3. Annemarie Erich

Well you definitely get the best site title picture award! Great work on this project and so glad you were able to incorporate your passions into your capstone. As future DPTs much of this information may seem like a no brainer but to new parents who could be scared, confused, and sleep deprived this information will be invaluable. You’re also making this information free and easily accessible, which removes two possible barriers that may have prevented some parents from receiving education on these topics. Thanks for sharing!

4. Elizabeth Nixon

Kelly,
    I love your capstone topic and the resulting products. Before starting PT school I shadowed in the NICU at Durham Regional. Many of the babies there were premature due to maternal drug use and I was told many of the mothers were much younger than the average age of mothers at other nearby hospitals. I know all the area NICUs could benefit from these materials but I especially think there are many mothers that give birth there that could benefit. Hopefully these resources will be able to be disseminated to a variety of area hospitals.
    I tried to pick a favorite brochure but I think they’re all great. You were able to get a lot of information into a relatively small amount of space while still keeping things clear and easy to read (especially on the pamphlets with the developmental milestones). Sometimes materials like this can seem overwhelming but that’s not the case with yours. I love the bright colors and the cute baby pictures certainly help too! Great work.