Statement of Need/Background

Throughout the years in the program, I felt fortune to have had a personal training background because I was able to use that experience to understand the implementation and execution of various exercises in the therapeutic context (namely for musculoskeletal issues). However, I learned that several of my peers did not have such a background, or even experience with exercise in their personal lives. Over many conversations, I came to understand that while many of these classmates gained insight from the “big picture” topics and concepts taught during the curriculum, they still desired to have been taught some sorts of concrete examples of exercises. To address this gap for future classes, I wanted to use this capstone project as an opportunity to create an educational VoiceThread about the squat and its variations, so that 1st year students in the Exercise Prescription course can use it as optional learning material.

Squatting is a very commonly utilized and widely applicable exercise in the PT and performance realm. However, it is often prescribed without direct intent and/or without attention to the implications that can result when its accompanying variables are not accounted for. In simple terms, if a patient is dealing with a lower extremity musculoskeletal concern, squatting is often used as a default, uniform exercise with little thought behind its implementation. I aimed to use this presentation to serve as a resource for better understanding the reasons for using this exercise, and how and why one could manipulate it.

Purpose

The purpose of this capstone project is essentially explained above. As this topic is not part of or related to required course content in the program, I wanted to leave it as supplementary material that was not a requirement. Another reason for this same decision is that while I predict that many students could benefit from this presentation, there are some that already have a background in training and exercise prescription. Hence, such students may not benefit from this resource being mandatory material.

Product

The resultant product from this capstone project is a VoiceThread presentation named “The Implementation and Manipulation of Squatting.” This presentation is intended for first year DPT students, however, may be beneficial for any DPT student or licensed PT as needed.

Evaluation

To evaluate this presentation, I formed a pre- and post-presentation quiz to evaluate how well my teaching of the material was conveyed to the students. I attempted to make these quizzes a short as possible to promote student participation. Moreover, the post-test includes a section for students to provide any feedback that they may have. Due to time constraints, I was unable to deliver this presentation to first-year students and collect data. However, I will continue to monitor these forms as data becomes available.

Additionally, I attempted to make the VoiceThread as engaging as possible. This included placing as little information as needed on the slides themselves, while still conveying the important delivery points. I attempted to use graphics and charts when appropriate to assist in this delivery. Moreover, I created videos for several different pieces of content, with voice-over explanations.

Self-Reflection

Although I had not undertaken a project of this size previously, I very much enjoyed creating this presentation. I have learned so much about squatting over the years from personal experience, but this capstone presented me with an opportunity to actually look at the literature behind this movement. On this journey, I learned about several pieces of new content, and was challenged to let go of previously-believed notions and biases that did not align with the evidence that I found. Both of these factors continued to grow my motivation to keep working and digging further along the way. At times, as with any type of work, it felt like an assignment that I had to complete. However, I was pleasantly surprised with how much I desired to research and think about this presentation during my personal time as opposed to doing non-school activities, as it brought out the same amount of passion that those other activities could have produced. As I will soon transition into the “real world,” this was a reassuring discovery as I believe that I will continue to be self-motivated to be passionate about examining research pertinent to the field that I work in even though I will no longer be required to do so for school.

Acknowledgements

I want to give a huge thank you to my advisor, Bria Dunn, and my committee members, Jon Hacke and Josh Torrey! These individuals provided me with excellent feedback, assistance, and their generous time along the way, all of which helped make this presentation what it was. They deserve equally as much credit as I do for its completion!

10 Responses to “The Implementation and Manipulation of Squatting”

1. Trey Miles

Kish,
    Great job on this project! I enjoyed learning from the VoiceThread and appreciate the practicality of the content. I plan to try to implement some of these squat variations you mentioned for the athletes I see during this rotation. Also, as for the presentation itself, I appreciate the video demonstrations with the commentary and real examples of when to use each variation. This was very helpful, allowing the viewer to visualize the exercise and have a specific situation for when it could be useful. Very well done my guy!
    Trey

• krpatel8

Trey,
      Thanks for all the compliments my guy, I am glad to hear that you liked it and that you feel that it will be implementable during your rotation and in future practice! Also thank you for the feedback that you gave me regarding the final product before I posted it; that was super helpful!

2. haley1

Kish, I absolutely love this project! You can tell you spent a lot of time and effort into creating something that was meaningful and would be beneficial for future clinicians. All of the self videos you included were well placed to provide examples of the different variation of squats and how they may all be utilized differently. The article on stance position and its impact on mechanics was very interesting and you did a great job explaining a fairly complex concept. I loved the idea of this project when I first heard about it and I am so impressed with the outcome and quality. Great work, Kish!

• krpatel8

Haley,
      All of that is amazing to hear! We both love this sort of content, and you in particular have spent extensive time learning about it over the years, so it’s awesome to hear that you feel the project’s execution went well and that my explanations of slightly complex concepts were appropriate because my goal with this was to direct it towards those who don’t have the background/interest that you and I do. I remember discussing some of the project’s content with you early on in its development and getting some info and feedback from you during that phase, so thank you very much for that!

3. Bria Dunn

Kish,

This project came together nicely and is of high clinical utility for both new and experienced clinicians. It was great to work with you on it!

Bria

• krpatel8

Bria,
      Thank you so much! The pleasure was all mine, it was great to have you on board!!

4. Natalie Jablonski

Kish,
    I think this is definitely a much-needed project idea. Our program is great at preparing us for evaluation and rationale behind treatments, but I do feel like the curriculum lacks some concrete examples of exercises. This video will be really helpful for increasing our confidence in form correction. I love that you included variations to adjust based on how each patient specifically presents. I have been looking forward to watching this ever since I heard about your capstone idea! Great work!

• krpatel8

Natalie,
      Thank you for your comments! I’m glad that you feel that there was a need for this. Hopefully it can be a good resource for you and others in the future to implement into practice based on your patients’ needs!

• Megna Mishra

Kish,
        This is such a great project! I’ve already implemented some of your research you presented in this project in the clinic already! I know Bria and I discussed your project many times when I was in ICE with her. It’s a highly relevant topic that is frequently prescribed in outpatient orthopedic settings. Heck, any settings! Great job! You should be proud!

• krpatel8

Megna,
          Thank you for your kind words!! I’m so glad that you were able to find value from it and that you have already been able to implement some of its content!