Sitting and Your Spine’s Health

Introduction

As the sedentary demands of our society continue to grow, we must evolve in a way that combats the negative effects of increased sitting.  The lumbar spine experiences physiological changes during prolonged flexion which not only has been hypothesized to increase the stiffness of the spine, but has also been linked to a creep phenomena that impairs the sensorimotor control of the low back.  Creep, along with fatigue of the multifidi, leads to decreased stabilization with lifting and weight holding in the lumbar spine.  Therefore, the risk of injury with activity after prolonged sitting is significant.  In order to minimize the tensile stress placed on the spinal structures, one must be educated not only on the most ideal sitting posture and how to maintain it, but also on strategies to counteract the negative effects of sitting on the spine because even the best sitting posture can be harmful to the spine if done long enough.

Brochure

The main objective of my capstone project was to create an educational brochure for those in the workforce who primarily sit while performing their occupation full-time.  Ideally the educational brochure creates self-efficacy through simple illustration and expression of the facts surrounding sitting.  The reader is informed of the physiological impact of prolonged sitting on the spine, the different sitting postures the human spine can assume, which sitting posture places the least amount of stress on the spine, and finally, what can be done to minimize the negative effects of sitting during work and after work because despite our best efforts some occupations will require one to sit.

Here is my brochure:  BrochureFinal

Evaluation Component

I currently work in an outpatient clinic at Duke University.  The brochure was distributed to many of my co-workers who are administrative support staff and sit for >90% of their day.  Along with the brochure itself, a evaluation/feedback form was given to those who read the brochure.

Here is my evaluation form:  CapstoneSurvey

Preliminary results of my evaluation form: SurveyResults

Health Literacy Adventure

One of the challenges to this project was composing a brochure with enough information to create self-efficacy in a language that all readers could understand and enjoy reading.  In order to do this, I spent a great deal of time going through the health literacy chapter in Doak et al.  In this particular chapter I ran my brochure through the 17-item checklist, the Fry Formula, and the Suitability Assessment of Materials (SAM).  I adhered to all items in the 17-item checklist, the Fry Formula produced a second grade reading level and the brochure had a score of 40/44 on the SAM.

Presentation to Physical Therapists

In addition to the brochure, it was evident that more needed to be done beyond reaching out to sedentary co-workers.  Therefore, a power point presentation was constructed with an intended audience of physical therapists.  The objectives of the presentation were the same as the brochure, but with more detailed evidence provided.

Here is my Presentation:  PPTPresentation

Evidence Behind the Products

In EBP II I explored the effects of different lumbar spine postures on the alignment of the cervical spine.  I expanded this evidence table with approximately 10 more studies that examined the physiological effects of lumbar flexion on the spine or how to combat the negative effects of sitting with exercise.  This expanded evidence table was the foundation for both the brochure and the presentation.

Here is my Evidence Table:  CapstoneEvidenceTable

THANK YOUs!

Thank you so much to my advisor Mike Gross, PT, PhD and my committee members Phil Witt, PT, PhD and Lexie Wright, PT, PhD for your guidance and mentorship.

References

1. Shin G, D’Scouza C, Liu Y.  Creep and fatigue development in the low back in static flexion.  Spine.  2009;34(17):1873-1878

2. Beach TA, Parkinson RJ, Stothart RJ, Callaghan JP.  Effects of prolonged sitting on the passive flexion stiffness of the in vivo lumbar spine.  Spine.  2005;5(2):145-154.

3. Sanchez-Zuriaga D, Adams MA, Dolan P.  Is activation of the back muscles impaired by creep or muscle fatigue.  Spine.  2010;35(5):517-25.

4. Shin G, Mirka GA.  An in vivo assessment of the low back response to prolonged flexion:  interplay between active and passive tissues.  Clin Biomech.  2007;22(9):965-71.

5. Caneiro JP, O’Sullivan P, Burnett A, Barach A, O’Neil D. Tveit O, Olafsdottir K.  The influence of different sitting posture on head/neck posture and muscle activity.  Manual Therapy.  2010;15(1):54-60.

6. Black DM, McClure P, Polansky M.  The influence of different sitting positions on cervical and lumbar posture.  Spine.  1996;21(1):65-70

7. Silva AG, Punt TD, Sharples P, Vilas-Boas JP, Johnson MI.  Head posture and neck pain of chronic nontraumatic origin:  comparison between patients and pain free persons.  Arch Phys Med Rehabil.  2009;90(4):669-74.

8. Falla D, Jull G, Russell T, Vicenzino T, Hodges P.  Effect of neck exercise on sitting posture in patients with chronic neck pain.  Phys Ther.  2007;87)4):408-17.

9. O’Sullivan PB, Dankaerts W, Burnett AF, Farrell GT, Jefford E, Naylor CS, O’Sullivan KJ.  Effect of different upright sitting postures on spinal-pelvic curvature and trunk muscle activation in a pain free population.  Spine.  2006;31(19):E707-12.

10. O’Sullivan PB, Grahamslaw KM, Kendell M, Lapenskie SC, Moller NE, Richards KV.  Effect of different standing and sitting postures on trunk muscle activity in a pain-free population.  Spine.  2002;27(11):1238-44.

11. Reeve A, Dilley A.  Effects of posture on the thickness of the transversus abdominis.  Man Ther.  2009;14(6):679-84.

12. Park SY, Too WG.  Effects of a posture sensing air seat device (PSASD) on kinematics and trunk muscle activity during continuous computer work.  J Physiol Anthropol.  2011;30(4):147-51.

13. Gregory DM, Dunk NM, Callaghan JP.  Stability ball versus office chair:  comparison of muscle activation and lumbar spine posture during prolonged sitting.  Hum Factors.  2006;48(1):142-53.

14. Horton SJ, Johnson GM, Skinner MA.  Changes in head and neck posture using an office chair with and with and without lumbar roll support.  Spine.  2010;35(12):E542-8.

9 Responses to “Sitting and Your Spine’s Health”

1. Mike Gross

Lindsey- Nice job on the brochure and Power Point. This is not my area, but I am wondering if there is more information out there on sitting posture. I also think that since much of sitting posture depends on the work station demands that work station design would enter into sitting posture significantly. Mike

2. Michael Essa

Lindsey, I echo what the others have said. I’ve already downloaded your brochure and plan to use it in the clinic. This biggest thing that I noticed was mentioned by Katie already. If possible I would try to take out transverse abdominus and keep the language a bit more simple. Other than that I thought you did an awesome job! ME

3. lhack

Thanks Katie:)

4. kevolker

Lindsey, I really enjoyed reading over your project, especially being a full-time online student this year and often being guilty of the slumped sitting posture! I think your brochure would be really helpful for individuals who spend most of their day sitting. It seems to me like it would work best to complement a physical therapy program or to hand it out along with a presentation, rather than distribute it to the general public because there are some technical words in it that most individuals have probably never heard of (ie. transverse abdominus) and may need more explanation. But overall, I think it’s really helpful, and I like that you clearly explained the negative effects that poor posture can have in your brochure. Everyone knows that poor posture isn’t good for you, but many don’t really know why, and I think you did a nice job of getting that point across! Thanks, well done!
    Katie V.

5. lhack

backed=packed

6. lhack

Carla,
    Thanks for the comment. One of my committee members did suggest that I spell out abbreviations too. So, the new brochure is now up along with hopefully a better wording for the sentence Miranda was referring to as well.

I think the presentation may be a bit too scientific for general sedentary workers, but I think a presentation of sorts would be ideal to complement the brochure. In 2007/2008 I did a talk that was open to the general community on spine health (it was a series of lectures that Duke hosted with other lectures based on other subjects like golf swing, incontinence, driving, etc) and my lecture was backed with so many people! So many wanted to learn about how to take care of their spine. Ideally, I could give a lecture reinforcing the ideas in the brochure and then attendees could take the brochure home with them. In addition, I could give out the brochure to sedentary workers who are coming to me for therapy (maybe not necessarily low back pain). We could then have a more open dialogue about the contents of the brochure.

Thanks again!
    Lindsey

7. chhill

Lindsey, Great project! Your brochure is helpful to reinforce the information we give during PT appointments. A minor change I would suggest is to spell out week (wk used twice) on the back page as some people may not be used to that abbreviation.
    Did you consider providing the presentation to sedentary workers? Since the handout had higher marks for readibility than for behavior change, I wonder if an educational session for a group of sedentary workers would be more likely to elicit posture changes. It may be interesting to see if the ratings change between reading the handout alone and after a presentation+handout.
    Carla

8. lhack

Thank you so much Miranda for pointing that out. I will make that more clear asap.

9. mlbunge

Lindsey, I really like your handout and it will help a lot of people. I did have a question about point number three on the front side of the handout…it says:
    • Stretch the back in the
    opposite directions “as
    sitting as shown above.” Is that supposed to be “in sitting as shown above?” The photos above include a standing hip flexor and cobra back extension stretch in prone…Miranda