by Leigh Rolandelli Brogdon

DPT website image

Introduction

My history in athletics has been influential in my physical therapy areas of interest. During my 8 years that I played competitive basketball and soccer, I was fortunate to only suffer from relatively minor injuries—a couple ankle and MCL sprains. However, many of my teammates were not so fortunate. Knee injuries were particularly rampant among my teammates, with many suffering from debilitating Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome (PFPS) or ACL injuries.

Given my interests in athletics and working with adolescent athletes,  I chose to focus my capstone project on patellofemoral pain syndrome. More specifically, my research focused on hip strengthening and its role in prevention and treatment of PFPS in adolescent, female athletes. Female adolescents are between 2 and 10 times more likely than their male counterparts to develop PFPS1.  Sports that subject the athlete to repetitive pounding on the knees place these athletes at an even greater risk; an estimated 26% of adolescent, female basketball players will develop PFPS2,3.

PFPS can be a difficult condition to treat, since there are so many factors that can contribute to its cause. Anatomical malalignment, the dynamic Q-angle, decreased lower extremity flexibility and excessive pronation can all play a role in decreasing the contact area and increasing the stress at the patellofemoral joint3-5. Deficits in muscle weakness and the timing of the onset of activation of the quadriceps muscles can also contribute3,6. However, recent research has emphasized the importance of the hip abductors and external rotators in the treatment of PFPS. Therefore, I chose to research the role of hip strengthening for both the prevention and treatment of PFPS. Ultimately, this led to the creation of a simple hip strengthening prevention program that could be implemented by coaches of young, female basketball teams.

Research

As part of the Evidence Based Practice II class (fall 2013), I completed a preliminary evidence table that aimed to address the PICO question, “For adolescent female athletes ages 8 to 18 participating in amateur athletic sports, is pre-season hip strengthening beneficial in decreasing in-season patellofemoral knee pain compared to no pre-season strengthening at all?” [RolandelliL_Module4_evid table_10.7.13] The literature featured in the table included RCT studies that compared hip strengthening to various controls in females with PFPS. Many of the nonexperimental studies examined the frontal and transverse plane biomechanics of females with PFPS.  My ongoing research during spring 2014 yielded an additional 12 articles that were used to supplement my original evidence table. [Capstone Evidence Table_spring 2014].  As part of my needs assessment, I conducted two preliminary interviews with basketball coaches to gauge their interest in learning more about PFPS and injury prevention.  Both coaches expressed a need for more injury prevention resources, and felt this would be valuable for not only themselves, but also the players and parents.  I also asked for their feedback regarding the best way to disseminate this knowledge to basketball coaches and their players.  This preliminary research is what sparked the idea for my final product—to create a hip strengthening prevention program that coaches could teach to their athletes.

After a review of the literature regarding hip strengthening for PFPS, I summarized my findings in a final paper[PFPS Capstone Paper_Leigh Rolandelli]. The intended audience is for physical therapy students or any other health professional who is interested in learning the basics of PFPS, as well as learning about the most recent research regarding hip strengthening interventions for PFPS.  The paper identifies the need for a PFPS prevention program in the female, adolescent population. Further, it outlines how coaches have the ability to effectively implement prevention programs when given adequate educational resources.

Part one of the paper outlines the anatomy, etiology and biomechanics related to PFPS. A familiarity with these topics will allow the reader and clinician to have a better understanding of the rationale for hip strengthening in this population.  A summary of research trials and hip strengthening interventions, as well as an identification of the trial limitations and the needs of future research, is discussed in part two of the paper.

Final Product

Using the results from my literature search, as well as my summarized findings that were presented in the evidence tables and final paper, I created my final product [PFPS brochure for distribution]. This is an educational brochure that explains the basics of PFPS. It includes written instructions and photos for 3 hip strengthening exercises that can be taught to athletes, with the goal of strengthening the hip abductors and external rotators, and ultimately protecting against PFPS and other lower extremity injuries. The brochure is intended for coaches of youth, female basketball teams, although it has the potential to be distributed to parents and players of other sports as well. At midterm, I completed a health literacy assessment [Rolandelli_Health Lit Assessment] and received feedback on my brochure draft from my adviser and committee members. The feedback was incorporated into the final brochure before it was disseminated to a larger audience of coaches.

The brochure, along with a survey, was distributed to various basketball coaches in the Greensboro, NC area [Coaches Survey].  Coaches were asked to fill out a survey both before and after reading through the educational brochure. The survey aimed to assess the coaches’ knowledge of PFPS and their knowledge and implementation of injury prevention strategies. Further, it asked for feedback regarding the feasibility, pros/cons, and barriers to implementing the suggested strengthening program, as well as feedback regarding the readability, relativity, and presentation of the brochure.

Evaluation

I received feedback from 8 coaches; overall, their players ranged in age from 10 to 18 years old. An evaluation and summary of comments from the coaches, as well as an Excel data analysis of the survey scores, are provided [Evaluation]  [Coaches Survey Feedback Analysis]. Overall, the coaches responded favorably to the brochure and the PFPS material.  The educational  information resulted in a positive increase in their knowledge of the symptoms, risk factors, and a prevention strategy for PFPS.  The coaches globally agreed that they felt confident in teaching the exercises to their athletes after reviewing the brochure, and were likely to implement the exercises with their teams.

After reviewing the feedback, it seems the biggest barrier to implementing the suggested strengthening program is time. Especially for those teams who only have practices 2 times per week, some coaches were concerned about when they could fit these exercises in. Several suggested that the exercises could initially be taught in practice, but then carried out at home.  On the other hand, some coaches thought they could find time in practice, while one coach suggested having the athletes arrive to practice 5-10 minutes early to complete the exercises.

The feedback suggests that a combined approach could most benefit the coaches and athletes. The exercises can be initially taught at practice, to ensure athletes know how to perform the exercises. Then, the exercises can be continued at home, possibly with the edition of a participation log in order to increase adherence.  In the future, I would revise the brochure to emphasize this combined structuring of the exercises.

Overall, this capstone project allowed me to gain knowledgeable insight into PFPS and specific hip strengthening interventions that can have a profound impact on the prevention and management of PFPS. Further, my research resulted in a comprehensive yet concise educational brochure that effectively educated coaches on PFPS and a strengthening program to prevent PFPS. I hope this brochure can be used in the future to further educate coaches—and even parents and players—on this common, yet often overlooked, knee condition. Further, I hope they will use this brochure as a tool to not only help prevent PFPS and lower extremity injuries, but as a way to play an active role in their health and well-being.

A Special Thanks:

Thank you for taking the time to visit my capstone page. Thank you to my adviser, Mike Gross, and to my committee members, Shubhra Tyagi and Kristin Shelton, for your valuable insight and time, and for helping me to turn my passions and interests into a valuable tool to share with others.

References:

1. Quatman-Yates CC, Myer GD, Ford KR, Hewett TE. A longitudinal evaluation of maturational effects on lower extremity strength in female adolescent athletes. Pediatr Phys Ther. 2013. Accessed 6/4/2013 7:58:45 PM; 6/4/2013 7:58:45 PM. doi: 10.1097/PEP.0b013e31828e1e9d.
  2. Barber Foss KD, Myer GD, Chen SS, Hewett TE. Expected prevalence from the differential diagnosis of anterior knee pain in adolescent female athletes during preparticipation screening. J Athl Train. 2012;47(5):519-524. doi: 10.4085/1062-6050-47.5.01; 10.4085/1062-6050-47.5.01.
  3. Lankhorst NE, Bierma-Zeinstra SM, van Middelkoop M. Factors associated with patellofemoral pain syndrome: A systematic review. Br J Sports Med. 2013;47(4):193-206. doi: 10.1136/bjsports-2011-090369; 10.1136/bjsports-2011-090369.
  4. Powers CM, Bolgla LA, Callaghan MJ, Collins N, Sheehan FT. Patellofemoral pain: Proximal, distal, and local factors, 2nd international research retreat. J Orthop Sports Phys Ther. 2012;42(6):A1-54. doi: 10.2519/jospt.2012.0301; 10.2519/jospt.2012.0301.
  5. Waryasz GR, McDermott AY. Patellofemoral pain syndrome (PFPS): A systematic review of anatomy and potential risk factors. Dyn Med. 2008;7:9-5918-7-9. doi: 10.1186/1476-5918-7-9; 10.1186/1476-5918-7-9.
  6. Khayambashi K, Fallah A, Movahedi A, Bagwell J, Powers C. Posterolateral hip muscle strengthening verses quadriceps strengthening for patellofemoral pain: A comparative control trial. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2014. doi: 10.1016/j.apmr.2013.12.022; 10.1016/j.apmr.2013.12.022.

6 Responses to “Patellofemoral Pain Syndrome: Implementing a hip strengthening injury prevention program for adolescent, female athletes”

1. Michael Tighe

Dear Leigh:
    I really liked the topic you chose for your capstone. There are so many upsides to young women becoming more athletically inclined (my 9-year old daughter for example, is part of the inaugural “Girls On The Run” club at her school) , but the downside is the increase in orthopedic sports injuries. As more and more sports are being played year-round (my own kids play on soccer teams 3 out of the 4 seasons), and at a younger age, early recognition and prevention of injury patterns like those of PFPS are becoming very important.
    Most coaches, I’ve found, are much better trained at the X’s and O’s of sport, versus injury recognition. So I’m glad your project appeared to be so well received!
    I liked the exercise pamphlet, as well. Really good exercises should be portable, and applicable to a large range of patient populations. In Michael Gross’s orthopaedics class, he identified the importance of hip abductor strengthening in reducing cantilever stressors through the proximal femur, an important prophylactic technique in hip fracture prevention in middle-aged and elderly patients. I found the exercises in your brochure immediately applicable to these patients, as well as the “fire hydrant” exercises with our “high-level” stroke patients who can safely attain quadruped positions.

Michael Tighe

Reply
  2. Leigh

Thanks Morven!
    I was able to read through many of the documents from the International PFPS Research Retreat, and it was definitely interesting to read through the contrasting viewpoints. And thanks for the advice for a Youtube video…I think this could definitely help me to reach out to these athletes. Thanks again for your input!

Reply
  3. Jessica Burpee

Leigh,
    I really loved the brochure and pictures of hip strengthening exercises. This will be a hugely valuable resource in the clinic when treating young athletes with PFPS. As others and yourself have noted, this is definitely a hot topic and I remember it being a population subject of research at the Human Movement Science Symposium this year at UNC. I think you did a great job in the paper of giving appropriate background information and presenting the current evidence in a concise but thorough manner. I also thought it was a very novel approach to present the information to basketball coaches. You are certainly making a great example of the community preventative health role that PTs can play. Great job with your research, presentation, and evaluation. I am very impressed by the thoroughness of your work!

Reply
  4. Morven Ross

Leigh,
    Great job on your capstone! You did a great job synthesizing the detailed literature into comprehensive yet concise materials. I was fortunate to be able to attend a panel discussion consisting of members of the International PFPS Research Retreat at CSM and there was a lot of controversy even among the experts about PFPS, specifically whether the problem is coming from the foot or the hip. So you did a great job assessing all of the literature. The brochure was fantastic and you picked exercises that are easy to implement. The pictures were a good supplement and as Deborah mentioned a youtube video may be even more beneficial. In fact knowing your media and entertaining skills I think you should consider creating a short hip strengthening program video. You would be great at it! Some of the terms that you used in your brochure may be a little bit confusing for some individuals without much knowledge in anatomy or exercise such as core and torso. Photos for these may be helpful. I definitely think that if you are working with athletes that teaching them the exercises in pre-season and then requiring them to come 10-15 minutes early to practice and warm-up and do the exercises is a good idea or even 10 minutes after practice. In my experience I have had many coaches require similar things of the players, so it seems like a feasible option. Great work Leigh!

Reply
  5. Leigh

Hi Deborah,
    Thanks for your post! I actually got some feedback from a few coaches who suggested adding a YouTube video, website, or Twitter to link videos of the exercises. Some thought using this type of social media might even help to further reach these young athletes. But moving forward with this project, I would definitely add a website with videos, as you suggested. Having a video reference could also help these athletes if they were performing the exercises during off-season, when they may not have direct access to their coach every week.
    Thanks again for your interest!

Reply
  6. Deborah Kenner

Leigh,

I enjoyed learning about your Capstone! Your passion for this area of practice is evident in your work. I think you did a nice job of communicating with the coaches to gain a better understand of how the hip exercises might be implemented in practice.

You did a really nice job on your brochure. I was happy to see that you had incorrect and correct photos of how a clam exercise should look–I was a competitive athlete as well and know that I wasn’t familiar with clams until I began volunteering for hours prior to PT school! I was thinking that it might be nice to have link to a youtube video that you create for these exercises in the future. That way, there will be no mistaking whether or not an athlete is performing them correctly. This would be especially helpful if the athletes are to continue the exercises at home. That way, their parents can be involved as well! As far as the handout, I also liked how you stated that the athlete should “feel” the sidelying hip raises where the girl’s hand was in the photo. Great advice!

I also appreciate the idea of implementing these exercises during pre-season. That way, the athletes are independent with the exercises at home when they begin competing more regularly. Furthermore, it is essential that they learn these exercises prior to school season…I know my club team would often break for a few months during school season, and it seems more likely that this program would be shared among club coaches over school coaches. With that in mind, it would be helpful to encourage school coaches and club coaches to share information in the future in order to best serve the athlete!

Fantastic project. Thanks for sharing!

-Deborah

Reply