Locomotor Training for the Traumatic Brain Injury Population

website
http://www.msktc.org/sci/factsheets/Gait-Training-and-SCI

Meredith Haigh

Overview

Traumatic brain injury (TBI) is the leading cause of death and impairment in young adults in America.1 Injury leading to TBI occurs in 1.5 to 2 million people every year. Fifty thousand of these people die and over 230,000 survive with hospitalization and extensive rehabilitation. Of those that survive, approximately 90,000 will live with lifelong intellectual, behavioral, and/or physical disabilities that will limit their ability for functional independence in their home and community.1 TBI is difficult to both treat and compare research because of its effects on multiple body systems and the heterogenic presentations between individuals lending itself to a paucity of research regarding clinical practice guidelines.2 One of the most visible deficits after TBI is motor impairment and movement dysfunction.3  This is often caused by upper motor neuron syndrome (UMNS) which causes spasticity, decreased reflexes in the lower extremities, loss of dexterity, and weakness. UMNS can have significant effects on one’s ability to perform functional activities. Though presentations are varied, patients commonly demonstrate deficits in force, endurance, coordination and balance.3 These impairments negatively affect one’s ability for ambulation which is directly correlated with decreased independence and quality of life.4 The current available research focuses heavily on treatment of behavioral and cognitive deficits, but little research exists regarding strategies for motor improvement including ambulation.

During my time on my third clinical rotation, I had the opportunity to participate in the treatment of a few patients with severe TBI during their stay in an inpatient rehabilitation facility.  During this time, several gait training methods were used such as conventional over-ground walking with handrail and therapist support, partial body-weight supported gait training over ground and treadmill, and aquatic therapy. Clinically significant improvements were noted over time; however, I was curious to know which of these therapeutic activities was most beneficial in producing improved ambulatory outcome. Therefore, the purpose of my Capstone project is to search the current literature for the most valuable gait training techniques for patients with moderate to severe brain injury, synthesize this information into clinically relevant findings, and present them to inpatient rehabilitation facilities in Baltimore, MD. I used the Evidence Based Practice course from the fall semester of my third year of school as a springboard for this project to research the answer to the following PICO question: “For patients with moderate to severe traumatic brain injury under the age of 40 and without previous neurological occurrence, is over-ground manually-assisted gait training and handrail support or a body weight-supported device more beneficial for improving functional abilities as measured by over-ground walking speeds?” My focus during this research was narrow, only addressing two types of locomotor training for patients with TBI. For my Capstone project, I sought to broaden this topic to include a more expansive range of gait training techniques as well as to address the benefits of task-specific practice and the most reliable and valid outcome measures for measuring improvement. My new PICO question to be answered is: “For patients with moderate to severe traumatic brain injury, what is the most beneficial gait training technique for improving ambulatory independence as measured by gait speed?”

Literature Review

My review of the literature explored and compared the use of five methods of locomotor training: conventional over-ground gait training, body-weight supported treadmill training, rhythmic auditory stimulation, aquatic gait training, and robotic-assisted gait training. The results of the 12 studies used to compare these techniques are summarized in this Evidence Table and are explained in further detail in my Research Paper. I created a Prezi presentation and implemented presentation guidance provided by my course website to make the visual more learner friendly. I presented this at two different inpatient rehabilitation facilities in Baltimore, MD: Good Samaritan Hospital and John’s Hopkins Hospital. There were approximately 25 therapists present for these presentations and each individual was given a One Page Summary Sheet outlining the information presented, a List of References used to assimilate the information shared, and an Evaluation Form for the therapists to rate and comment on the relevance and quality of my presentation. I received excellent Feedback from both sites regarding my presentation as well as their opinions regarding translation of these findings into practice.

My intentions at the start of this project were to determine the “best” clinical practice tool to improve quality of gait outcomes while simultaneously decreasing length of stay. If I have learned anything over this period of study, it has been that this intention is naïve. The literature was largely inconclusive in the few studies that focused exclusively on patients post brain injury. Much of my research required branching into similar neurological diagnoses such as stroke and spinal cord injury to find beneficial results. A majority of the results lacked statistical significance or had very small sample sizes and poor quality study design. Additionally, subjects were commonly studied several months post injury, making the results inapplicable for use in the post-acute rehabilitation setting during the window of greatest neuroplasticity.  The inclusion criteria were often narrow and the exclusion criteria were often broad. These factors highly limit translation to practice considering many of the patients referred to rehabilitation would be excluded from participation in these studies. No two patients are the same and no two therapists are the same. There is no one single active ingredient that if present in every treatment plan will end in an ability to walk again (as much as I wanted that to be true). The brain injury population is very heterogeneous in presentation, personal factors, and learning styles. In addition, each rehabilitation center is different in their backgrounds, treatment preferences, and available resources. Of the five different gait training techniques that I presented, both rehabilitation sites lacked access to two of them (a therapeutic pool and a robotic-assisted gait device). Furthermore, feedback from the therapists brought to light many barriers to use of a body weight-supported gait device such as time, staff demand, patient appropriateness, and cost. In this case, the therapists were less likely to use the body weight-supported device even if the literature was conclusive about its positive effects. This taught me that one must develop a plan of care based on a healthy balance of evidence-based findings and realistic accommodations and patient preferences. Referring to the literature for guidance in practice is essential; however, we must be highly critical of the results when the study limitations are large and the population at hand is not adequately represented. Further research in this topic would be highly beneficial to expand the literature in regards to patient response and gait outcomes following different types of gait training in the brain injury population.

Acknowledgements

I would like to first thank my advisor, Karen McCulloch for your advice, guidance, and encouragement throughout this project. Thank you also to my committee members, Lauren Demeyer and Michele Sulwyer, for your prompt feedback and graciousness in helping me along the way! Also, thank you to Amy Ryan from Good Samaritan Hospital and Kelly Daley and Jessalyn Ciampa from Johns Hopkins Hospital for providing me with the opportunity to share my research. I’m so thankful to have met you and the PT staff and hope that your experience was as enriching as mine!

References

1. O’Sullivan SB, Schmitz TJ. Physical Rehabilitation. Philadelphia, PA: F.A. Davis Company; 2007. p. 895-928.
  2. Evidence-Based Review of Moderate to Severe Brain Injury. Module 1- Introduction and Methodology-V9. 2013. http://www.abiebr.com. Accessed November 11, 2013.
  3. Boake C, Francisco GE, Ivanhoe CB, Kothari S. Brain Injury Rehabilitation. Physical medicine and rehabilitation. Toronto: Saunders Company; 2000. p. 1073-116.
  4. Danielsson AJ, Bartonek A, Levey E, McHale K, Sponseller P, Saraste H. Associations Between Orthopaedic Findings, Ambulation and Health- Related Quality of Life in Children with Myelomeningocele. Journal of Child Orthopedics. 2008;2:45-54.

7 Responses to “Locomotor Training for the Traumatic Brain Injury Population”

1. Karen

Hi Meredith, I’m late to the party, but appreciate seeing how you’ve pulled the information together on your project. Nice work – good to see that it really came together, given our conversation a few weeks ago – you really took the advice and ran with it. I’m glad that it was so well received by the sites where you were able to present. The feedback about your presentations was very positive and supportive of how well you know the literature, in addition to the fact that you stimulated discussion with the larger group. Yay you. Nice interactivity on this site too!
    Congrats on successful completion of the project – almost done!
    kmac

Reply
  2. Meredith Haigh

Hey Tracy!

Yeah, I thought that the information about rhythmic auditory stimulation was very interesting as well. I probably would not have thought to use this in the clinic if I were not reminded of it by the literature. However, there is still no evidence that studies use of RAS with brain injury patients specifically, only with patients of similar neurological diagnoses. I’ll keep my eyes open for research addressing the brain injury population! In regards to your question about why many of the PT’s in my audience use RAS, I believe that they were trying to say that they would like to TRY using it in the future after hearing about it in my presentation. Previous to my presentation, I dont think that it was a widely used technique. When I polled the audience on the day of my presentation, only two therapists raised their hands to say that they had used RAS in the past. Hopefully it is helpful to them in the future!
    Thanks for reading my project and commenting!
    Meredith

Reply
  3. Meredith Haigh

Hey Beverly,

Yes, I definitely was not coming into this project thinking that I would conclude with an “it depends” statement! Though this was somewhat disappointing, I have no doubts that I learned so much about the reality of clinic outcomes versus study outcomes. Translation of the evidence we learn through research to practice will always have barriers; however, the population of patients with brain injury has a wider array of barriers because of the heterogeneity of presentation among these patients. Unfortunately, each patient will respond differently to a rehabilitative technique; however, this does not dismiss the need for evidence based practice. We can take what the literature says with a grain of salt and use it to apply new findings to our individual patients. I’m excited to see how this plays out in the clinic. Thanks for commenting! 🙂

Reply
  4. Meredith Haigh

Jess,

Thanks for your recommendation to put headings throughout the text! I think that is such a great idea. I had the same feeling when reading through it and making my last edits. It is very long and can get overwhelming at times. Headings would be a great way to break it up and provide some added organization. I’m implementing your idea and re-posting my paper with headings! Thanks!!

Reply
  5. Tracy Taylor

Meredith –

Great Capstone! I enjoyed going through your materials. I liked your Prezi presentation and will probably start using that more often in future presentations. (Loved the pic of Daisy at the end, too!)

I found the feedback interesting from those you presented to, specifically the information about rhythmic auditory stimulation. It appears that the therapists at one facility use this method quite often and I was curious as to why? While I found the comments beneficial in terms of knowing what devices/methods were available at the facility, having current knowledge of the various tools available for gait training is extremely beneficial. Additionally, this information can help to procure BWST, robotic equipment, etc. or gain access to pools for gait training there.

Your conclusion in your paper, that patient presentation should direct the method of gait training that a therapist chooses, hits the nail on the head, especially after all we’ve learned in Advanced Neuromuscular Intervention this semester. Great Capstone!

Tracy

Reply
  6. Beverly Knight

Meredith,
    Great post and fascinating topic! I will certainly reference your capstone and articles you provided when working with this population. I was surprised to hear that little research exists regarding strategies for motor improvement including ambulation. Like Jess, I didn’t like to hear “it depends” but it was a great illustration of clinical practice within our profession. There is great variation among the patients we see and we will be faced with creating a plan that is specific to the patient for the best outcomes and not being able to rely on “black and white” data for all patients. Again, great capstone!

Reply
  7. Jessica Rolle

Meredith,
    Excellent job on your Capstone!! I know we had talked a couple months ago about your project so I am excited to see how everything turned out. I think it was a great idea to broaden your topic to the five methods of locomotor training, as this provides a more comprehensive look at the literature in this population of patients. You did a really nice job of organizing your presentation (I like the road metaphor) and I am sure the therapists appreciated having a handout to keep with them after you left. In the future if I have a patient post-TBI, I will definitely look to your paper and references to see what techniques I could utilize. If I were to give you one small suggestion, I would put headings throughout your paper to make it more easily readable. It flows well, but some headings would help to break up the text a bit.

As much as we hate to hear the words, “it depends,” it seems to be true for your project. The research is not black and white, but rather we must use a combination of clinical judgment, experience, patient preference, and device accessibility to determine which type of locomotor training to implement. Maybe more research will start to favor one method over another, but for now, we must use what we can.

I really enjoyed reading through your materials and learning more about this topic!

Jess

Reply