Welcome to my Capstone Site

Musculoskeletal Impairments and Injury Risks associated with Golf Swing Faults

by: Brandon Hall

golf-rehabilitation

Golf is a sport played around the world by all ages and can allow people to remain active across the lifespan. Although golf is often considered a leisure sport, it does place many physical demands on muscles and joints. Specifically, the golf swing can increase the risk of many musculoskeletal injuries if repetitively performed incorrectly. The golf swing requires the golfer to maximally rotate around an unstable spine creating compressional, rotational, and shear stress on many joints throughout the body. A lack of knowledge, previous injuries, degenerative changes, or soft tissue imbalances are linked to improper swing mechanics which place the golfer at an increased risk for injury. The Research Paper reports how these impairments affect the golf swing, and in return can injure the body, specifically in three common joints and swing faults:

• Low Back
  1. Early Extension – increases risk for disc herniation, vertebral fractures, and muscle strains
  2. Reverse Spine Angle – increases risk for disc herniation, unilateral vertebral dysfunction, and muscle strains
  3. “S” Posture – increases risk for disc injury, SI dysfunction, and radiating pain
  • Shoulders
  1. Chicken Winging – increases risk for golfers elbow, rotator cuff tendonitis, and anterior instability of the shoulder
  2. Steep Swing Plane – increases risk for AC joint compression, inflammation, and subacromial impingement
  • Knees
  1. Sway – increases risk for ligament tears and abnormal contact pressure related to osteoporosis

The paper describes each swing fault, how each swing fault affects performance, and goes into greater detail about how the imbalances in the body can lead to each swing fault. Although there are dissimilar effects in the three most commonly injured joints, I wanted the reader to recognize the golf swing is a full body movement. I want to warn you that good quality research pertaining to golf injuries due to improper swing mechanics is limited. Here is the evidence table summarizing the research I used. Also included in the research paper is a small section about the importance of a warm-up and what should be included in a pre-golf warm-up routine. I created a warm-up booklet for golfers to take with them to the golf course to use and share with friends. I also made a supplemental video to refer back to visually see the exercises performed correctly, which is posted on YouTube and the Hillandale golf course website.

At the golf course I posted this flier to inform golfers of my presentation. I also had the owner email it to all members and well as talk to golfers the day of the presentation. My capstone presentation summarizes the paper in a consumer friendly manner and informed golfers of the swing faults and injury risk factors. Prior to the presentation, I perform a shortened video analysis of each golfers swing to inform them of their swing faults to encourage attention during the presentation. All golfers in the audience reported the presentation was informative, helpful, and plan on utilizing the warm-up to improve performance and decrease risk of injury.

I plan to do golf rehabilitation and work with the golf population at some point in my career. I can expand my knowledge of golf rehabilitation by treating these injuries with golf-specific techniques. I will utilize my clinical knowledge, seminars, continuing competence, and new research to expand my knowledge. The SFMA (selective functional movement assessment) is a tool I have found which will help me with my examinations in the future. It is a comprehensive assessment tool to identify movement patterns which limit motion of the golf swing and help direct therapeutic decision making. It utilizes seven movement tests to help the clinician identify which location in the body requires further musculoskeletal testing. This is just one resource example demonstrating the type of knowledge I plan to gain to improve my skills to better serve the golf population.

5 Responses to “Musculoskeletal Impairments and Injury Risks Associated with Golf Swing Faults”

1. Mike Gross

Brandon- Everything came out so well for your project. the paper served as a great foundationn for you to produce all of your other end products. The only constructive critique I would offer is that you should have figure legends (captions) to explain the important details for each figure. Figures should “stand alone”. Great work, Mike Gross

Reply
  2. hallbm

Liz,
    Thanks for the positive words. I tried to keep the warm-up exercises easy yet “golf specific.” The exercise movements include components of the golf swing, so golfers are more likely to perform them without feeling like they look silly.
    I think you should pick up golf! I would gladly play a round with you and help with correct swing mechanics to keep you safe so you can enjoy the activity for years to come.

Joanne,
    As my paper and PowerPoint mentioned, the hip and SI joint can be a causative factor of swing faults as well as be a site of radiating pain. I did not find any research that correlated the golf swing to malalignments in the hip or SI joint. It makes sense mechanically if you repetitively overload a joint it will likely increase congruency or laxity at the joint, depending on the type of stress. Since each SI joint is loaded at different times during the swing, they each undergo high compressive and shear forces which will likely cause hypomobility. This increased congruency can definitely cause malalignment at the joint and increase the risk of osteoarthritis in the future. Glad you enjoyed my project and found it helpful.
    Carly,
    I agree with you that novice players are likely to demonstrate many of the swing faults. Most of these swing faults do not place the individual at a high risk of injury the first few times they perform incorrect swing mechanics. Most amateur golfers are happy to score below a 100 when playing 18 holes of golf. This means the golfers are swinging the club almost 100 times, not counting their practice swings which may be 2-4 practice swings per swing. It is the repetitive motion combined with poor mechanics which increase the risk of injury. To answer your question, yes, I think novice golfers regardless of age are at a risk of developing injuries. Older adults, however, have degenerative soft tissue changes which weaken the supportive tissues which provide stability at the joint. Due to these degenerative changes, these improper mechanics with repetition are more likely to cause an injury.

Reply
  3. Carly Laper

Brandon –

Great project. I learned a lot about golf and the impact that improper mechanics can have on the golf swing and the stress it can place on the joints.

I really enjoyed your video and thought that it was a practical way to demonstrate the warm-up exercises to a variety of people. You did a great job explaining the benefits of the warm-up and gave directions in an easy to understand format. It is good compliment to the warm-up booklet.

I don’t know a ton about golf, so I do have a question. A lot of the swing faults seem like common mistakes that beginners can make when learning. Do you think that if beginners demonstrate these that they will begin to experience the same MSK problems that older adults experience? If so, how do you think you could correct these early or market your research towards a younger population?

Carly

Reply
  4. ljoanne

Brandon,
    Great job on your project! I thoroughly enjoyed looking at all of your materials. Your topic interested me especially for a variety of reasons. First, I completed my project on the SIJ and I know that repetitive unilateral movements can cause malalignments in this area. It was interesting to see that you found similar issues caused by the “s” posture. Did you find anything else in your literature search that pertained to the SIJ?

I also have tried golf a few times recently with my boyfriend and it’s helpful to understand the various components of the swing and how this can cause stress and injuries to the body. Although I had never thought about it, it makes perfect sense to complete a warm-up before golfing and the pictures in your handout were very helpful for visualizing each of these stretches. These can be easily recommended to many of our friends and family members that golf. I really like how you incorporated musculoskeletal conditions into something that you love to do and your products will be very helpful for any of us that might have to treat a golfer in the future. Great Job!

Joanne

Reply
  5. ewaddell

Brandon,
    I love your warm-up booklet. The exercises seem straight forward and easy to do and have an “athletic” look to it. I should incorporate a golf club or other sporting equipment into more PT exercises to make them cool. On the first page you mention the risk of injury from not warming up and the length of time it may take to recover. Good strategy to get their attention!

I have very little experience with golf, but your ppt presentation was very clear. I had a few questions about some of the postures after viewing the ppt, but your capstone paper cleared everything up for me. I also appreciate the explanation of the potential cause for each swing fault. Based on the ppt and paper, I feel like I could probably actually help a beginner golfer with their swing.

Thanks,
    Liz

Reply