“Knowing is not enough; we must apply.  Willing is not enough; we must do.”—Goethe

Introduction

My interests in cultural competency first began while attempting to receive acceptance to physical therapy school.  While completing observational hours, I began to notice that minority populations were not utilizing physical therapy services as those clients that belonged to majority ethnic groups.  During my educational endeavors at UNC-Chapel Hill, I came across research that discussed healthcare disparities experienced by minorities.  I often found myself seeking ways to improve the relationship between physical therapists and culturally diverse patients.  I became even more sensitive to the subject matter after completing a service learning trip to Tyrrell County, one of the poorest counties in North Carolina, during the spring of 2011.  Collectively, these experiences led me to believe that an in-depth, evidence-based approach to obtaining cultural competency needed to be embedded within our curriculum.  Consequently, an educational lecture was developed with efforts to assist physical therapists in achieving cultural competency.

The Capstone Project

Numerous models of cultural competency exist and can be appropriately implemented within an educational curriculum to produce cultural competent healthcare professionals.  My presentation was developed using Josepha Campinha-Bacote’s model of cultural competency to assist students in achieving cultural awareness and developing cultural skills.  In addition to designing an educational curriculum, the model can be used by numerous healthcare professionals and applied to various aspects of healthcare.  In fact, the various utilizations of the model is one of the reasons attributed to my selection of the model.

The information provided within my capstone project will be included within the UNC Chapel Hill Division of Physical Therapy curriculum.  Integrated within the two-hour course, PHYT 550: Psychosocial Aspects of Disability and Illness, I plan to deliver the interactive presentation during the Fall of 2012.

Prior to the presentation, students will be required to complete a pre-test that includes the Multicultural Sensitivity Scale and the Village of 100 form.  The presentation will begin by revealing the answers to the Village of 100 exercise during the viewing of the following video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twQED8zOBDo&feature=related[/youtube]

Next, students will explore cultural competency by attending the presentation, Breaking Down Barriers:  the Road to Achieving Cultural Competency.  At the end of the presentation, students will re-take the pre-test and report any changes in their thoughts or perspectives.  This will ensure that the objectives of the presentation have been met.  A presentation feedback form will also be provided to assess the effectiveness of the presentation.  I am definitely excited about presenting this project!  Please feel free to leave comments.

A Special Note of Appreciation

A special thanks to my advisor, Sadye Errickson, and committee members, Tracey Powell and Marylin McClain.

6 Responses to “Breaking Down Barriers: The Road to Achieving Cultural Competency”

1. Strategies for Integrating Cultural Competency Training Among Physical Therapy Professionals in the UNC DPT Program – DPT Capstone

[…] the Fall of 2012 semester, Christina Grey, DPT, presented a powerpoint presentation as part of her student Capstone addressing the importance of cultural competency in physical therapy.  Christina’s Capstone […]

2. gchristi

Aisha, I agree. Cultural competency is usually only addressed on a superficial manner. Therefore my aim with the development of this project was to create a safe environment in which students will feel at liberty to openly express their concerns regarding this topic. Thereby using an in-depth exploration of this topic to facilitate learning.

3. aishaj

Christina,
    I love the depth of your project. In my experience when Cultural Competency is addressed, it is only addressed in a superficial manner and people (including myself) really don’t have to truly come to terms with this issue. In particular, the multicultural sensitivity document opened my eyes to aspects of cultural competency that I have not been aware of. Also, the inclusion of the open-ended definition portion allows for a true representation from the students in the difference of those terms. I think you did a great job on your project and introducing the topic early in the program during the psychosocial course is a great time to address this topic and get student prepared.

Aisha

4. gchristi

Hello, Ladies! Thanks for the compliments! I have fixed the problem, so the powerpoint should be available! Enjoy!

5. atortori

Christina!
    This is a great and different idea for the project. I really enjoyed the video and would love to see the powerpoint, but like Sam, I cant get it to work properly.. hope you can fix it!! Through all of the school and stress and everything, your project made me, and will make others more thankful for what they have!
    Ashley

6. samprice

I am having trouble viewing your powerpoint… But otherwise, I am so impressed by your capstone! This looks so professional. I looked at yours before I was done with the aesthetic of mine and you challenged me to step it up! I think the scope of your project is perfect-fitting this into the psychosocial class is a great idea. I know that during our first year, this was actually the topic my small group chose to present on. Now that the groups (I believe?) are assigned projects, I was bummed they were going to miss the potential for this component to be included. Now I can rest assured they will be. Let me know if you ever want a copy of my group’s powerpoint from that year, you know, just to look at it. Great job, Christina.