UNC PT OUTREACH

Optimizing Functional Independence in Children and Adults with Myelomeningocele

Image credit:  www.glogster.com
Image credit: www.glogster.com

I am eager to combine my interest for serving abroad and my passion for pediatric physical therapy during the UNC PT Outreach Service Learning Trip to Guatemala this spring!  UNC PT Outreach aims to meet the needs of underserved populations of Guatemala, while increasing cultural competence among future physical therapists.1 This year, a team of 13 students, 2 UNC PT faculty members, and 6 practicing therapists will travel to Guatemala to provide educational presentations, as well as work along side Guatemalan physical therapists to treat pediatric and adult patients in a hospital, school, and rural clinic.

Las Obras Sociales del Santo Hermano Pedro (Las Obras) is a private Catholic hospital that runs on donations and 20% funding from the government.2 Las Obras employs approximately 300 individuals and provides health care to more than 230 adult and pediatric patients.2 The physical therapists at Las Obras have requested more information about myelomeningocele (MMC) and the management of MMC throughout the lifespan.  It is my intent to provide an educational, interactive presentation to the physical therapists and PT students at Las Obras on the treatment and management of MMC, as well as strategies for determining ambulatory potential for individuals with MMC.

In preparation for my Capstone project, I performed a thorough review of the current literature and compiled two evidence tables.  Evidence Table 1  explored the benefits of functional skills training versus focused strengthening exercise for increasing functional independence in children with MMC, and for Evidence Table 2, I examined the literature for methods of predicting ambulatory prognosis in young children with MMC.  The literature suggests that both focused strengthening and functional skills training may improve functional mobility, and participation in physical activity may also lead to improved self-esteem and quality of life.3,4,5,6,7,8 As for prognosis, associations were found between independence in mobility and lower lesions levels, lack of contractures, lower extremity strength, mental status, having two or less shunt revisions, lack of spine deformity, and good hand function.9,10,11,12,13,14,15 The conclusions drawn from the literature formed the basis for my presentation materials.

I also completed a Health Literacy Assessment to determine the factors that I will need to take into consideration when presenting educational materials to Spanish speakers with a educational and health care system different than our own.  With the guidance of my Capstone advisor and committee members, I developed a PowerPoint presentation (English/Spanish), and handouts titled: “Spina Bifida: Should I Expect this Child to Walk?” (English/Spanish) , “Spina Bifida: Stretching Exercises to Prevent Contractures” (English/Spanish), “Spina Bifida: Strengthening Exercises for Young Children” (English/Spanish), and “Spina Bifida: Strengthening Exercises for Adolescents & Adults” (English/Spanish). All handouts have been translated to Spanish, and the actual verbal presentation will take place with the assistance of a translator.  My presentation, including lecture, demonstration, and hands-on application, will take place between April 24-29 in the PT gym at Las Obras.  I have modified a previous student’s presentation evaluation form, to be completed by audience members at the end of the presentation to assess the introduction, explanation, organization, quality of content, relevance and clarity of my materials and presentation.  The audience will also have the opportunity to offer comments and feedback on ways to improve my presentation and what topics they would like to learn about in the future.  Feedback gathered from the evaluation forms will be shared after the conclusion of the service-learning trip.

I would like to extend my deepest gratitude to my Capstone advisor, Katie Ollendick, and my committee members, Cathy Howes and Melissa Scales, for their invaluable guidance and feedback throughout this experience! Also, a big “thank you” to CJ Jacobs, Derrick O’Neal, and Dr. Sadye Paez Errickson for translating my presentation materials.  I couldn’t have done it without you all!

The summary of my evaluation results can be found here.

References:

1 Department of Allied Health Sciences: Physical Therapy. UNC PT Outreach 2012.  Available at:  http://www.med.unc.edu/ahs/physical/news/unc-pt-outreach-2012.  Accessed April 11, 2014.

2 Edwards N, Errickson S. Introduction to Health and Disability in Guatemala. [PowerPoint]. Chapel Hill, NC: UNC Physical Therapy Program; 2013.

3 de Groot JF, Takken T, van Brussel M, et al. Randomized controlled study of home-based treadmill training for ambulatory children with spina bifida. Neurorehabilitation and Neural Repair. 2011; 25(7): 597-606.

4 Andrade CK, Kramer J, Garber M, Longmuir P. Changes in self-concept, cardiovascular endurance and muscular strength of children with spina bifida aged 8 to 13 years in response to a 10-week physical activity programme: a pilot study. Child Care Health Dev. 1991; 17(3): 183-96.

5 O’Connell DG, Barnhart R. Improvement in wheelchair propulsion in pediatric wheelchair users through resistance training: a pilot study. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 1995; 76: 368-372.

6 Winchester P, Kendall K, Peters H, et al. The effect of therapeutic horseback riding on gross motor function and gait speed in children who are developmentally delayed. Phys Occup Ther Pediatr. 2002; 22(3-4): 37-50.

7 Fragala-Pinkham M, Haley SM, O’Neil ME. Group aquatic aerobic exercise for children with disabilities. Dev Med Child Neurol. 2008; 50(11): 822-7.

8 Liusuwan RA, Widman LM, Abresch RT, et al. Behavioral intervention, exercise, and nutrition education to improve health and fitness (BENEfit) in adolescents with mobility impairment due to spinal cord dysfunction. J Spinal Cord Med. 2007; 30(1): S119-26.

9 Schoenmakers MA, Uiterwaal CS, Gulmans VA, et al. Determinants of functional independence and quality of life in children with spina bifida. Clin Rehabil. 2005; 19(6): 677-685.

10 Diaz Llopis I, Bea Munoz M, Martinez Agullo E, et al. Ambulation in patients with myelomeningocele: a study of 1500 patients.  Paraplegia. 1993; 31(1): 28-32.

11 Bartonek A, Saraste H. Factors influencing ambulation in myelomeningocele: a cross-sectional study. Developmental Medicine & Child Neurology. 2001; 43: 253-260.

12 Bartonek A. Motor development toward ambulation in preschool children with myelomeningocele—a prospective study.  Pediatric Physical Therapy. 2010; 22: 52-60.

13 Danielsson AJ, Bartonek A, Levey E, et al. Associations between orthopaedic findings, ambulation and health-related quality of life in children with myelomeningocele.  J Child Orthop. 2008; 2: 45-54.

14 Oakeshott P, Hunt GM, Poulton A, Reid F. Open spina bifida:  birth findings predict long-term outcome.  Arch Dis Child. 2012; 97: 474-476.

15 Norrlin S, Strinnholm M, Carlsson M, Dahl M. Factors of significance for mobility in children with myelomeningocele.  Acta Paediatr. 2003; 92: 204-210.

4 Responses to “Optimizing Functional Independence in Children and Adults with Myelomeningocele at Las Obras”

1. Casey Poff

Leigh,

Thanks for the feedback! Great questions…I am bringing a roll of (latex-free!) Theraband with me to Guatemala and am going to have everyone in the audience practice the exercises together (with their own Theraband). I will then leave the Theraband with them so they can use it with their patients. I am told they do have Swiss balls in the PT gym there, and I also plan on bringing one along just incase (and then they can add that to their collection as well)! I think we will have our bases covered. I’m excited to see how it all plays out!

Thanks, Leigh!
    Casey

Reply
  2. Leigh

Hi Casey,
    What an exciting opportunity to share these resources with parents and children in Guatemala! I found your handouts and powerpoint to be a good review, as I am trying to get my hands on as many pediatric resources as possible before I begin my pediatric rotation this summer! I thought you chose simple exercises that can be easily understood via the pictures you chose to demonstrate them. I do have a few questions about the strengthening exercises. Are you able to bring Thera-Band with you to Guatemala, to give out to patients in order to do some of the strengthening exercises? Or will you be modifying them to have the child perform the exercise against gravity? And what do you think is the best way to modify the core exercises for those who don’t have access to a Swiss ball? Thanks again for sharing, I hope I am around in Guatemala when you present!

Reply
  3. Casey Poff

Jaime,

Thanks so much for the feedback! You are more than welcome to save the evidence tables for future reference. Looking forward to seeing all of the great things you’ve put together for Guatemala, too!

Thanks,
    Casey

Reply
  4. Jaime Emel

Casey,

Great work on this project. I think it is great that you are addressing an area of need that was identified by PTs in Guatemala. I’m sure that your information will be well received and utilized for the betterment of patients with MMC in Guatemala.

I found your evidence tables to be very informative and, with your permission, I would love to save them for my own personal use during my pediatric clinical rotation and career. Its great to see that PT can have benefits for children with MMC, not just in the physical realm but also the psychosocial.

Your handouts are great too. I appreciate that you used culturally sensitive images in all of your handouts and powerpoint and that you focused on exercises that do not require expensive equipment. I know from personal experience with my own capstone how difficult it can be to find images that are sensitive and still accurate.

I look forward to seeing your project come to life in Guatemala!
    Jaime

Reply